Re: Inclusion of recommendations after an upgrade in the Release Notes?

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:57:28AM +0000, Rob Bradford wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:18:54AM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We added a list of "removed" packages in the previous release notes (how
> > was it generated?) but I don't believe it mentioned these tips.
>
> I attempted to generate that list and included it in an early draft of the
> release notes, however when I discussed this with some other developers it was
> decided that it was more useful to provide instructions on finding the obsolete
> packages on the user's system rather than providing a large and unwieldly list
> in the release notes.

Understood. Maybe the numbers, howevers, would be appropiate as well as
tips on how to find why package X is not in the release (maybe pointing to
ftp.debian.org's BTS entry, the WNPP, etc...)

> Similarly the list of dummy packages that you produced that could later be
> removed might be superfluous if we provide instructions on how this can be
> resolved for the user's individual system.

Unfortunately, it might not be so easy to find dumy packages given the
fact that there is no standard way to mark them,  I spent
about three hours to compile the list, started off with the list provided
by the script but that didn't account for all of them. Some of the
automatic list where false positives (for example, many python packages
label themselves dummy, but they are not used for upgrades, just for
pulling in a given package version of a library making python user's life
easier) and there were a lot of false negatives (packages I had to find in
the archive manually, and I probably missed some)

> If the general consensus is that a list of removed/renamed etc... packages is
> useful I will include it however it requires a significant amount of work and
> the list will only be finalised once frozen and the RC bug count is 0 (since no
> more packages will be removed due to bugs).

Maybe a 'removed' packages list is not appropiate (but answering how many
packages are not available, and how to find why where they removed, would).

A list of dummy packages is, IMHO, still necessary. Since there is no
automatic way to obtain this. There will probably not be any more dummy
packages than the list I provided, however, unless dummy packages that were
in previous releases are removed from the archive. That would be easy to
review just before we are releasing.

Regards

Javier