Re: Starting questions

Hello Geert,

Geert Stappers schrieb:
On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:24:56PM +0200, ThomasS wrote:

Hello,

Geert Stappers schrieb:

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:17:59PM +0200, ThomasS wrote:

Please confirm ( to make sure we are talking about the same files )
Did you get those from CVS?
Yep, as described in http://www.debian.org/doc/cvs, I updated cvs this morning by doing a "cvs -z3 update -d -P"

Please supply the output of   cat CVS/R*
ddp
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc

I did run "make" and got a complete build, without any error.

I assume you allready start changing the Makefile.
Didn't touch any of them till now...........so no diff's available

The results of rebuilding manuals step-by-step is very different from directory to directory, i.e. I was not able to rebuild following manuals in the ddp directory for very different reason:

-sgml-howto

error: /usr/lib/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl howto.db > dump.html
jade:E: cannot open "/usr/lib/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl" (file or directory not found)

thomas$: locate xml.dcl [which is part of installed sgml-data package]

/usr/share/doc/docbook-website/examples/bookmark/xml.dcl.gz
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/common/xml.dcl
/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl
/usr/share/xml/declaration/xml.dcl

A look at the Makefile in this directory gives:

XML_DECL=/usr/share/xml/declaration/xml.decl

Is this a typo : xml.decl instead of xml.dcl ???

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/de$ make

architecture variable must be set
exit 1
make: *** [../dynamic_.ent] error 1

Hmm, where and how to do this?

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/euro-support$ make

nsgmls:debian-euro-support.sgml:528:8:E: document type does not allow element "EXAMPLE" here; assuming missing "P" start-tag
make: *** [debian-euro-support.html] error 1

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/java-faq$ make

debiandoc2html debian-java-faq.sgml
[ -d /org/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals ] || exit 1
rm -f /org/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/*.html
install -d -m 755 /org/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq
install: could not create directory ,,/org/www.debian.org/www/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq" : no permission

This compiles only if you are root ?? Is that the way things should work?

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/maint-guide$ make

debiandoc2html -c -l en maint-guide.sgml
nsgmls:maint-guide.sgml:37:11:E: the name and vi delimiter can be omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is specified mv: call of stat for ,,maint-guide.html" not possible: File or directory not found
make: *** [html] error 1

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/newbie-doc$ make

debiandoc2html newbie-doc.sgml
nsgmls:E: cannot find "newbie-doc.sgml"; tried "newbie-doc.sgml", "/usr/loc
are/sgml/newbie-doc.sgml", "/usr/local/lib/sgml/newbie-doc.sgml", "/usr/sha
ml/newbie-doc.sgml"
make: *** [newbie-doc.html/index.html] error 1

Is this because of missing sgml files, where can I get these from?

thomas@sugar:~/ddp/manuals.sgml/network-administrator$ make

debiandoc2html network-administrator.sgml
nsgmls:network-administrator.sgml:85:13:E: the name and vi delimiter can be omitted from an attribute specification only if SHORTTAG YES is specified
make: *** [network-administrator.html/index.html] error 1

To come to an end, some manuals compile very fine, i.e. apt-howto, project-history, dselect-beginner or securing-howto just to name a few. Others which are of more interest to me don't rebuild at all, like sgml-howto or network-administrator manuals!

Some of the above described errors don't make any sense to me, like rebuilding java-faq as root or html error for maint-guide manual. Ghee......... hard times for beginners..... ;-)

Thanks in advance for helpfull comments

yours

Thomas