Re: debiandoc-sgml can build ps/pdf files for CJK :-)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 02:05:23AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Monday, 21. July 2003 00:58, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 05:04:11PM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> > 3.  Change to source is done by bin/fixlatex for simplicity (If you
> >     adopt this kind of output for tex source codes, I know you do it
> >     differently to implement.)

What I meant was...

For creating correct latex source from sgml, fixing in our style is
ad-hoc way.  Ardo will certainly change SGML conversion catalog.

That is much cleaner if one knows where to change as upstream package
owner (Ardo).  But it is not practical for us (Osamu and Jens) to do
this equivalent in our package.

> As long as CJK support is unstable I suggest to move as much as possible
> of our bin/fixlatex script to an included .tex file.

I hope debiandoc2latex* script to add functionality to run a script on
tex files.  But eventually, most of the thing we did there should be
taken care by the official SGML conversion catalog.

> This is not
> necessary but I think this LaTeX macro file is easier to read than a
> shell script (your mileage may vary).
> By adapting this file it's possible to modify LaTeX, to add translations
> of fundamental strings such as Chapter, Table of Contents, ...

I think fundamental strings such as Chapter, Table of Contents, ...
are already taken care but having a capability to customize will be nice
anyway.

> Is there really no Chinese, Japenese, ... LaTeX style file available
> which does this for us (babel has no such support)?

The current created files has Chapter and Table of Contents.

> > 4.  Add few new dependencies.
> >
> > Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), debiandoc-sgml(>= 1.1.67),
> > tetex-bin, tetex-extra, w3m (>= 0.3) | w3m-ssl (>= 0.3) | w3mmee (>=
> > 0.3), cjk-latex, freetype1-tools, tfm-arphic-bsmi00lp,
> > tfm-arphic-bkai00mp, tfm-arphic-gbsn00lp, tfm-arphic-gkai00mp,
> > hbf-jfs56, hbf-cns40-b5, hbf-kanji48
>
> There are also other solutions (totally untested):
>
> multex-base, multex-bin: Mulilingual text processing including Chinese,
> Japanese and Korean
>
> latex-ucs: Support for using UTF-8 input encoding in LaTeX documents

We need some expert opinion on which is most mature and what encoding
they support as input and output.

> > Here some more issues:
> >
> > Jens also told me that "It was also necessary to remove the "hyperref"
> > package for dvi and ps targets (it's supported in Woody) in addition to
> > pdf. ".
>
> Yes and this is ugly. I will try to improve hyperref support so that we
> can use links in .pdf and .dvi (does .ps support these references?).
>
> This package can be used for .dvi and .ps files in Woody (but not in Sid).

Bug report, please.

> > It is impressive for me to see Chinese displayed on my X with xpdf or
> > gv.
>
> Please note that Woody's xpdf seems to be unable to display CJK.

I see.

Osamu