Re: Printing Mini-HOWTO

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:07:24AM -0400, Ian Ward wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:31:24PM -0600, osamu@debian.org wrote:
> > I maintain "Debian Reference".
>
> Since my first message I have submitted my howto to tldp.org, and
> there has been some interest on the discussion mailing list about
> including other distributions, and adding it to the howto collection.

Great.

> Once the bugs are worked out I will resubmit parts of my howto for
> inclusion in the Debian Reference.

Yah :-) This is the way to do it.

TLDP is good place for detailed (mini-)HOWTO.  "Debian Reference" is
more like pointers to all these infos while giving overview of what can
be done on Debian.

Cross platform printing itself you attacked was generic GNU environment
issue anyway.
> Anything I submit will be relicensed GPLv2, as required.

Good.  I always ask GPL & GFDL so no future problems.

> > FYI: DDP uses mostly SGML and XML.  Although LATEX is acceptable in theory,
> > one needs to provide Makefile HTML and Plain TEXT using free tools too.
> > I think your document can be easily converted to DEBIANDOC-SGML.
>
> I need to convert the document to SGML/XML for tldp anyway, so it
> shouldn't be a problem.  :-)

For simple documents like these, I tend to use links or w3m to convert
HTML into plain text and then mark them with tags.

Good luck.

PS: Patch to enhance my weak printing section is very much needed.