Re: Printing Mini-HOWTO

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:31:24PM -0600, osamu@debian.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I maintain "Debian Reference".
>
> Since I am almost off-line for 2 months, excuse me for slow response.
>
> About your http://excess.org/docs/debian_windows_printing.html
>
> In short, having interesting Debian related document such as one you
> wrote is interesting.  Since we do not know your intent for the future,
> if we allow it to be a part of DDP without your future support it will
> be a big nightmare for the ifuture user since many of the contents
> will be outdated, unmaintained and inaccurate soon.
>
> Can you think of adding chapter/section to "Debian Reference" and get
> wider audiences.  I see you write very concise and clear document and
> you joining "Debian Reference" author shall be very beneficial.
> I can imagine to expand "Debian Reference" with a chapter for cross
> platform system configuration.  In there, samba and printing needs
> more detailed explanation with focus to address Mac and PC world.
>
> Please check http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html
> and give us your thought.

Since my first message I have submitted my howto to tldp.org, and
there has been some interest on the discussion mailing list about
including other distributions, and adding it to the howto collection.

Once the bugs are worked out I will resubmit parts of my howto for
inclusion in the Debian Reference.

> Whether you want to merge with "Debian Reference" or try to provide
> independent DDP project, continuous commitment to support it is very
> important.
>
> DDP is not really authoritative review board to select mini-HOWTO or
> anything like it.  It is all about dedicated volunteers working together.
>
> IMHO, with difficulty to include in current DDP as it stands, your
> chance for wider audience is a bit difficult. (Also your specialized
> license is another issue.)

Anything I submit will be relicensed GPLv2, as required.

> FYI: DDP uses mostly SGML and XML.  Although LATEX is acceptable in theory,
> one needs to provide Makefile HTML and Plain TEXT using free tools too.
> I think your document can be easily converted to DEBIANDOC-SGML.

I need to convert the document to SGML/XML for tldp anyway, so it
shouldn't be a problem.  :-)

-Ian Ward