Re: do we need more policy drafts? (was Re: XML Catalog Policy Draft 1)

Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> writes:

> > I think this Document should be in the DDP area, possibly as
> > "sgml-xml-policy".
>
> Sure, haven't yet used the DDP system, but am happy to learn it.

I can walk you through.  It's just a CVS area with some makefile
conventions.  Do you know CVS ?

> > I think this document should be designed to be suitable for eventually
> > being raised to the following status:
> >
> >   - part of Debian policy
>
> Yep.
>
> >   - an improved and updated LSB proposal (with minor alterations of
> >     course)
>
> Hopefully...:)
>
> > I am not volunteering to steer or lead this this, but I volunteering
> > to help.
>
> Since I'm currently unencumbered by gainful employment and unless
> someone objects, I'd be happy to serve as coordinator/editor of said
> unified SGML/XML policy.

Excellent.

> [Assuming Ardo or someone else puts together
> the base package(s).]

He's already working on it and pretty far along.

> If I indeed serve in this capacity, someone will have to walk me
> through the DDP system.

That's me. See my question above.  You may or may not wish to join the
debian-doc list.  It's pretty low volume (10 posts a day?).

> Later today I'll post some thoughts on xml-core/xml-common, or
> whatever the package will be named.

Ardo and I have worked through it already.  I think what you're
proposing and the informal, working policy Ardo has worked out are
pretty much the same.  Ardo and I also did a number of emails off-list
working out some of the details.

> Then, Sunday night or Monday morning I'll attempt to summarize the
> various points regarding XML Catalog implementation and the role and
> content of xml-common.

I don't really know if you need to summarize xml-core operation and
contents, I would allow Ardo to finish the package and supply his
notes.  That would seem to take work off Ardo ...  But I guess it
might not hurt, I dunno.

> Hopefully, that would give me enough to get to work on the policy
> docs and for Ardo to put together an xml-common package.

He's already well underway on xml-core.

> Regarding the package naming: xml-commons is also the name of the
> apache package that contains the latest version of Norm's XML
> Catalog-aware entity resolver. Maybe xml-core is a better name...

Yes, I think I convinced Ardo to use xml-core even though *-common
is more standard in Debian.  xml-common is the name of sgml-data for
XML on RedHat, as well as the issue you raise above.

> At any rate, I'll ITP and upload the newest version of Norm's resolver
> along with Ardo's xml-XXXXX package. It works with most of the major
> java-based XSLT processors. We really should have more toolchains
> available than libxml2/libxslt. (E.g. I still prefer Saxon, as do many
> others.)

That sounds good too.

> Ardo & I can work together off-list on some of the xml-XXXX
> issues...

Ardo and I have already done it.  I'll look for relevant emails in my
outbox and send them along to this list... I hope Ardo doesn't mind.
I think we should have been CC'ing this list all along.