Re: do we need more policy drafts? (was Re: XML Catalog Policy Draft 1)

On , January 18, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > I think this Document should be in the DDP area, possibly as
> > > "sgml-xml-policy".
> >
> > Sure, haven't yet used the DDP system, but am happy to learn it.
>
> I can walk you through.  It's just a CVS area with some makefile
> conventions.  Do you know CVS ?

Yep. Both the revision control system and the the pharmacy:)

> > > I think this document should be designed to be suitable for eventually
> > > being raised to the following status:
> > >
> > >   - part of Debian policy
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > >   - an improved and updated LSB proposal (with minor alterations of
> > >     course)
> >
> > Hopefully...:)
> >
> > > I am not volunteering to steer or lead this this, but I volunteering
> > > to help.
> >
> > Since I'm currently unencumbered by gainful employment and unless
> > someone objects, I'd be happy to serve as coordinator/editor of said
> > unified SGML/XML policy.
>
> Excellent.
>
> > If I indeed serve in this capacity, someone will have to walk me
> > through the DDP system.
>
> That's me. See my question above.

OK, will get back to you in a few days on this. Thanks for the help.

> You may or may not wish to join the debian-doc list.  It's pretty
> low volume (10 posts a day?).

I'm already on it. Lurk-only status, though.

> > Later today I'll post some thoughts on xml-core/xml-common, or
> > whatever the package will be named.
>
> Ardo and I have worked through it already.  I think what you're
> proposing and the informal, working policy Ardo has worked out are
> pretty much the same.  Ardo and I also did a number of emails off-list
> working out some of the details.
>

> > Then, Sunday night or Monday morning I'll attempt to summarize the
> > various points regarding XML Catalog implementation and the role and
> > content of xml-common.
>
> I don't really know if you need to summarize xml-core operation and
> contents, I would allow Ardo to finish the package and supply his
> notes.  That would seem to take work off Ardo ...  But I guess it
> might not hurt, I dunno.

Yeah, I agree. Ardo knows what he's doing and certainly doesn't need
any distractions. He & I can talk as needed.

> > Hopefully, that would give me enough to get to work on the policy
> > docs and for Ardo to put together an xml-common package.
>
> He's already well underway on xml-core.

OK, OK. I'll let it be.

> > Ardo & I can work together off-list on some of the xml-XXXX
> > issues...
>
> Ardo and I have already done it.  I'll look for relevant emails in my
> outbox and send them along to this list... I hope Ardo doesn't mind.
> I think we should have been CC'ing this list all along.

That might be helpful. Thanks.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson        <mark@duke.edu>
Debian XML/SGML     <mrj@debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81