Re: What about a Debian Instalation Quick Guide

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:51:19PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> I like the idea of providing pointers to sections in the full doc.
> But - that's what the table of contents does, and very nicely.

Actually I disagree -- the table of contents is way too intimidating for the
average (l)user. If you provide a "QUICK START" link right at the top, and
then disguise the condensed table of contents in there, you increase the
chances they actually read any of it.

> The only thing that I think it's useful to do, is to provide a
> collection of links to these documents as people build them, maybe
> indexed by system type and assumptions. There are these two for i386,
> I know of at least 3 sites for iBook, there are probably many many
> others.

<nod>

> OTOH, then you get into the problem of pointing people to information
> that hasn't been tested, may conflict with our information, yadi yadi.

True, but as long as we delineate the stuff of questionable quality
properly, it should work well. I've noticed that sometimes, when users can't
seem to find their way through one document, they give up trying and instead
look for alternatives. I sometimes catch myself doing this. If we provide
them with alternatives right there, they'll be happier, and if we nudge them
towards proper alternatives, the benefit is even larger.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.