Re: DDP manpages

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:10:05AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: DDP manpages
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:21:28 -0800
>
> > Otherwise, use CVS
> >
> > $ export CVSROOT=:ext:yourname@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc
> > $ cvs export -d put-it-here manpages/portuguese/dillo
>
> I'd like to know the way download translations for a package for
> all languages using cvs.
>
> Since the directory structure is <language>/<package>, it is easy
> to download translations for all packages for a language.
>
>    $ cvs -d:foobar checkout manpages/portuguese
> for the first time and
>    manpages/portuguese$ cvs update -PRd
> for daily check.

I was usually do following if I wanted only one archive to be updated

 $  manpages/portuguese$ cvs update

or single file

 $ manpages/portuguese$ cvs update somefilename.ext

-P is good for pruning,  -R is default action, -d I do not understand.
I am too lazy to type even -P.

> On the other hand, I'd like to cvs-checkout, cvs-update, and
> check if new language is available like following (impossible):
>
>    $ cvs -d:foobar checkout manpages/*/adduser

I think something like this works

 $ cat >archivelist <<EOF
manpages/english/adduser
manpages/japanese/adduser
manpages/spanish/adduser
EOF
 $ cvs checkout `cat archlist`

> for the first time and
>    */adduser$ cvs update -PRd

If you do not check out directory, I think CVS would not bother creating
it next time.  So from root of the tree, I do

 $ cvs update

and only updates directories with files already checked.  This should
not create any new directories.

> for daily check.
>
> Since this is impossible by normal usage of cvs, it would be helpful
> to have a script to do this.  (Since I am not very good at cvs, I might
> be wrong and it might be possible....)

I am good either :(  I hope above untested comments work OK.

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>   Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract