Re: debiandoc to docbook conversion situation full review (1st try)

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> I am thinking following scenario:
>
> 1) Use automatic script to convert to the tags in the middle column.
>
> 2) Since debiandoc tags tends to overload its meaning, I thought it may
>    be good idea for the editor to manually convert tags to one of the
>    better tags in last column if it is the case.

> 3) For new document, only the tags in either middle or last column are
>    recommended to be used (of course, image inserts and table needs to
>    be supported.  That's a separate topic.)  With this approach, we can
>    limit exposure to less than 50 tags.

Ah I understand.  A candidate for the real meaning of the tag, but
cannot be determined programmatically.

> > I personally disagree with using DocBook numbered sections.  DocBook
> > lets you nest <section> within <section> to the N-th degree.  Using
> > numbered <sectX> tags I think is gross.  I believe they are deprecated
> > in DocBook too and might go away.
>
> That is much nicer.  What is the negative of doing so?

None that I know of.

> > > +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> > > | file          | filename class="?????????"|                             |
> > > |               | filename class="directory"|

FYI, I would guess we'll have to convert to just <filename> but then list
as an alternative <filename class="directory">.

> > > +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> > > | strong        | emphasis role="strong"    | emphasis role="bold"        |
> > > |               |                           | (should it be alternative?) |
>
> Per Josip,
>
> | strong        | emphasis role="strong"    |                                |

possible alternative: important

> > > +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> > > | tt            | token                     | literal                     |
> > > |               | (is this constant width?) | type? (I see many use of tt |
> > > |it can be:     |                           | where type input are meant) |
> > > |code           |                           | ?                           |
> > > |output fragment|                           | ?                           |
> > > |

> > Hmm, I change my mind, I think literal might be better. <token> is
> > more specifical and <literal> more general, matching how <tt> is also
> > more general.

> in a separate line.
>
> Can all code, output fragment, and command string be all <literal> or
> some may need to be converted to alternative tags?

I think it's reasonable to convert this to literal.  Maintainer will
have to review this tag instance by instance.  Possible alternatives:

  constant
  computeroutput
  command (?, should have been prgn)
  envar
  function
  keycap
  keycode
  keycombo
  keysym
  markup
  option
  parameter
  prompt
  property
  returnvalue
  sgmltag
  symbol
  token
  userinput
  varname
  wordasword

> Maybe we should bring this to DDP CVS under /ddp/utils/debinadocsgml2xml

Yes. I think actually we should call it 'debian-docbook' or
'docbook-debian' and also be the place for putting the "standard
formatting" stylesheet.  More on that in a separate email.

> > > +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> > > | heading       | title ?                   |
> > > |

> > Depends on context, generally title, yes.
>
> What is possible alternative tags?

I don't think we ever need to worry about alternatives here.  The XSLT
conversion should be able to handle every instance of this.  I think
title is the only possible replacement, tho.

> > > +---------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
> > > | comment       | comment                   |

Um, docbook doesn't have <comment>.  Do you mean remark ?

Possible alternatives:

  caution
  tip
  warning
  note

Actually I'm not sure if remark or note is more appropriate.

> > > | comment/p     | phrase                    |

You don't need to identify this separately.  XSLT should handle the
para handling...

> By the way, I do not know what happens for the heading without <heading>
> tag.

It's an implied tag; before the XSLT gets to the SGML, it will be
normalized and the implied tags will be produced.

Can you regenerate the table and send it along?