Re: Index ready (almost) for proposed-layout of ftp.debian.org and document database

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:13:12AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:

> > However, you do not generate the index automatically. I'm going to try to
> > have a new index.pl ready that you can (through command line switches) tell
> > which sections to include.
>
> But is there a reason to generate index files?  There is no list of
> languages or similar features, so it is essentially static.

	Even if there is not there now that does not mean it will not be
there in a near future. I intend to use this same script (and the
document database) to generate the DDP index at www.debian.org/doc
	If you check the script it only publishes documents from some
sections, documents are available under the database so adding a new
document is as easy as changing the database. Having a database (even if a
crappy perl script :) makes it easier to

a) track changes
b) show different views on documents. I.e. www.debian.org/doc/index and
www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals

> Moreover, how do your script support i18n?
> I was thinking of adding index.wml somewhere under webwml/english/ and
> request for translations.  Thus translators could be aware of changes in
> English index file as with any other file.

	Easy question. The header and footer stuff should be changed
to support i18n. That's the only section in the script language-dependant.
In order to make it for new languages you just need to create a new
database that modifies the values of the 'keys' in the document database.
The script should be able (it is not now) to read a new file if a swith
(-l?)  is given to it, something on the lines of:

require documents-db.pl
if ( -f documents-bd.$LANG.pl ) {
	require documents.$LANG.pl
}

documents-db.fr.pl for instance would include all the documents in
documents-db.pl translating *only* the title and description (and maybe
adding some new keys for translation checks). This idea is derived from
www.debian.org/international/french

> Txt files should indeed be generated.
>
> Raphael Hertzog told me that the current way of dealing with these documents
> (i.e. by downloading them from f.d.o/debian/doc/) is mostly historical,
> an alternative way may be to
>    * include these documents in a package

	They already are, that's how they are included in f.d.o/debian/doc
Check doc-debian-2.2.5/debian. If you read the 'rules' it makes the txt
version and includes it in byhand.

	BTW, Josip, how do you update the information under doc/ in this
package? Manually, maybe you could use the scripts I made to remove the
header/footer stuff and the scripts Denis made to retrieve wml
documentation and make it HTML. Maybe an update on this package to use the
webwml CVS would be in order.

>    * push this package into woody

	Not needed see above, maybe changes would be appropiate to
debian-doc *but* it only provides english documentation. See Bug #106497

> Of course, these decisions are out of his control.
> But IMO it is worth trying this solution, we could then have documentation
> on CD#1 and fix other issues later.
>
> Josip, if we put these HTML and TXT files online, is there a chance
> you incorporate them into your doc-debian package?  We could then try
> to convince ajt to let it enter woody in order for these docs (and their
> translations) to go into CD#1.

	Having our decision depend on uploading packages makes it
difficult to have this available for woody IMHO. Even if our policy states
that during the freeze documentation only packages are ok, since the
ftpmasters are quite busy they might probably miss it. Notice that ajt has
not sent a single comment in the last three weeks (I'm thinking very
seriously of filing an 'important' bug to ftp.debian.org on this issue)

	Regards

	Javi

PS: Yes, I'm quite disappointed that no one in ftpmasters is taking this
issue seriously. I'm starting to get discouraged that this issue will be
fixed before woody gets release despite all the work we are putting into
it.