Re: Release Notes Debian 3.0

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 10:14:56AM +0200, Hubert Palme wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > As for the rest, some just don't exist any more (e.g. data-dumper,
> > gcc-doc), whereas others might be of more concern - although I'm not
> > sure if anything can be done about them at this late stage. The output
> > of 'apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1 -u dist-upgrade' would be
> > helpful, but if you've already upgraded then I suppose that won't be
> > possible.
>
> That's right, my upgrade works fine now... :-)
>
> But I'm not sure wether the debugging 'apt-get ... dist-upgrade' would
> help. The problem was the 'apt-get install apt dpkg ...' you
> recommended in the release notes.

Well, it's the '-o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1' bit that's important.
Add it to whatever apt-get command is appropriate.

> And removing parts of X is a real bug, I think.

Sure, but difficult for anyone to find without more information, because
it may depend on exactly what packages you have installed. I haven't
seen this in previous upgrade tests I've done. There used to be a
problem with upgrading xbase-clients, but that's fixed now.

> I intent on installing the statically linked versions before doing the
> next dist-upgrade. Is there any objection about that?? (There seems to
> be some aversion among you developers... :-})

It should certainly get around a number of problems.

> When answering, please, Cc: to me directly!

You might want to consider a Mail-Followup-To: header saying that. mutt
does this automatically if you tell it about a list but don't tell it
you're subscribed; I don't know about other mailers.