Re: more comments on DDP policy

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 07:00:31PM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:
> Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:
>
> > 	As a matter of fact I was thinking on having the CVS automagically
> > create the packages as soon as new versions are available (with proper
> > debian/rules templates available in CVS too). The maintainer
> > would only have to upload them.
>
> Isn't this reinventing the wheel?  Shouldn't it be the document
> maintainers that release packages?  Isn't the build and such from CVS
> already automated with cvs-buildpackage?  Seems like overdesign to me.

	Well, documentation packages (most of those I'm aware of in any
case) do not use cvs-buildpackage. Some of them use cvs to retrieve the
latest sources from the DDP cvs.
	There's the issue, however, that sometimes package maintainers are
not the doc maintainers and thus, might not be aware that the document is
updated (until a bug is filed asking for the update).
	I was thinking on the lines of:

DDP CVS sources (nightly)---> publishing in the website (/doc/manuals)
                (build  ) |
                          |-> publishing in the ftp site (/doc/?)

                           .-> creation of new package-versionX.deb's

The maintainer of the package needs only check them (lintian clean? proper
content?) and upload them. This should reduce the time it takes to get a
new package (with documentation) once there is a new version (the nightly
build would only re-publish if the CVS sources have changed _and_ they
compile properly)

Currently there is no such code, I don't even have a visible proposal on
doing this automatically (except for website publishing). However:

- FTP publishing is quite simple, _if_ the FTP maintainers allow us to
modify the /doc dir (either directly or through a tar.gz that they install
in it)

- Package creation could be made by creating proper debian/rules
debian/doc-base et al files in all of the DDP subdirs for manuals (we
could obviously reuse those currently used by packages which do use
cvs-buildpackage and generalise them)

	Regards

	Javi