Re: response on ddp policy, 3.1

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> OK.  How about "debiandoc-sgml, docbook-sgml, and docbook-xml are the
> recommended formats."

I would think it might be better to just say docbook-xml and not
docbook-sgml.

> It was discussed on this mailing list.  In short, the answer given was
> "we do not need to use all the tags".

[...]
> >  - since it's simpler, the output is going to be more consistent
>
> I think the existence of "best practice document" shall fix this
> issue.

I'm dubious but I'm willing to accept it's possible.  If you really
want to commit to a reduced tag set, we can produce a customization of
the DocBook DTD stripped to the tags we think are most useful.  Seems
like a bit of a maintenance headache tho.  I think we might need to
work out a DocBook customization, OTOH, to add <systemitem
class="package"> or something.

> Also, making some debian customized stylesheet maybe an good option.

Required option, IMHO.

I don't really think it's worth discussing all that much at this
point, though.

> > In fact, I would go even further and state that we should make this
> > change, and Ardo should close most of the wishlists for new tags and
> > features in debiandoc-sgml.  DebianDoc should explicitly be a
> > *simple*, 80% solution.  If folks want bells and whistles, use
> > DocBook.  This way, both have a place in our galaxy and Ardo doesn't
> > have to feel bad about all the things he doesn't do that DocBook does.
>
> Sure but Ardo's time may be better spent on improving text output of
> docbook or debian customization of docbook output.  That up to him to
> decide, I guess.

Uh, do you mean debiandoc or docbook here?

Of course it's up to Ardo what he wants to do.  I'm just making a
suggest that will help him clear out bugs.

> As I posted separately, Philippe Batailler's script may require some
> iteration of optimization before becoming version 1.0 :-)

Yes, you did a good job.  It's does seem to do a poor job and need
work on tag translation, from my first look.