Re: docbook for DDP

Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr> writes:

> > Well, I don't think we should be XOR -- just OR is fine.  That is, we
> > can accept DocBook (XML?  SGML?) as well as DebianDoc.
>
> I'm not aware that one could combine both in the same document. Can you
> really do that?

No, not in the same document, but DDP itself can accept that some
documents are on DocBook and some in DebianDoc.

> > As for the question, will the content be better in DocBook?  No -- not
> > without proper use of tags, education about DocBook, etc.
>
> No, the content will be better because the new maintainers' guide doesn't
> _have_ anything about library packaging, and integration of the library
> packaging guide would obviously fix that.

You misunderstood.  All I'm saying is that moving a document from
DebianDoc to DocBook won't improve the content of the document.

Are we in fact debating here whether to put the packaging guide in the
new maintainers guide vs. the developer's reference?  Because i
haven't formed an opinion on that.

> If the integration of that content requires integration of those few tables,
> and that in turn requires using a different format, that's just fine with
> me, because the content is far more important than the formatting.
> (Presuming the different format is entirely functional like DebianDoc SGML
> is, of course.)

Since Osamu Aoki already converted the document to debiandoc-sgml, you
don't need to worry about this issue.  It's already done, so you can
take either format.

As for the drop back from DocBook to DebianDoc, there is a tiny loss
of structure but it's not worth worrying about, IMHO.

> > Again: we should accept both.  Josip, maybe you already meant that.
>
> Yes, of course. I wasn't referring to anything in general, just about the
> above.

Ok, we seem to be having quite a few misunderstandings here.

Lets lay the whole DTD issue aside, it's moot.  I guess the question
is, will the packaging guide go into the new maintainer guide (as
originally planned), into the developer's reference, or elsewhere.

I don't mind if it goes into the new maintainer's guide...