Re: another doc that should be integrated in ddp: libpkg-guide

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:

> Right things to do it to convert developers-reference to docbook and
> integrate your document.  This was too much for me.

Yes, please don't do any such thing with the permission of the
mainter, that is, me.  Moreover, think about it -- conversion of
debiandoc to docbook can be done mechanically.  I think it would
probably be pretty easy to do an stylesheet to convert from DebianDoc
to Docbook.

But the whole "DDP better supporting DocBook" is an entire other
conversation, not one I want to enter just at this moment.

> I actually made a patch for developers-reference already.  (I
> substituted table into list and taglist.  I know it is not as elegant
> but missing this in developer reference is not good either.).

Well, thanks for all that hard work, but are you sure it's really the
right approach?

Looking at the manual you came up with (and I could have done no
better) it seems to me that the library packaging section really
departs from the tone of the developers reference and I think it
should stay as a separate document.

I don't know -- I'm undecided.  One the one hand maybe we should keep
the document separate.  On the other hand, why bother.  Isn't it
harder to users to jump between many documents?  Isn't it better to
have one well-organized document?

At any rate, whether included into developers-reference or not, the
document should at least be kept in a separate file (dealing with
these huge SGML files gets rather ponderous).