Re: Index ready (almost) for proposed-layout of ftp.debian.org and document database

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:34:13AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
[...]
> I would appreciate if people took a look at the index.en.html and
> commented on it. There are some issues regarding the layout size that
> Raphael (debian-cd maintainer) commented about and we have to think how to
> patch debian-cd so that it breaks the documentation in several CDs if
> needed (I've taken a look but have not yet done it).
[...]

Let's make statements:
  1.  CD1 contain index files, project/ and FAQ/ directories
  2.  other directories are put on other CDs, if possible
  3.  ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/ contains everything

Clearly point 1 must be solved now, then 2 and later 3.
And I am not sure that 2 is needed, because these manuals are
already packaged (this has been told on IRC).

So I suggest to ship an expurged version of your index.en.html
for use with CD1, i.e. with no reference to manuals/ and
development/ directories.

We (I mean you, of course ;o)) will prepare enhanced indices later
for ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/

I am still concerned with directory layout, having indices (and
your is fine) does not help FTP clients nor browsing CDs.
I'll send my revised scripts to generate HTML files from web pages,
and make output online so that you can see what I am suggesting.
Hopefully it will happen tonight.

Some comments about index content:
  * Installation manual is missing
  * In first paragraph, there could be links to other parts (FAQ,
    manuals, developer's information,...)
  * Idem with ``see FORMATS below''
  * There are several Chinese extensions (zh-cn, zh-hk, zh-tw)
Apart from that, it is nice, thanks for the job.

Denis