Re: Index ready (almost) for proposed-layout of ftp.debian.org and document database

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 02:25:06PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:

> Let's make statements:
>   1.  CD1 contain index files, project/ and FAQ/ directories
>   2.  other directories are put on other CDs, if possible
>   3.  ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/ contains everything
(...)
	As a mater of fact 3. must be solved before any other
 since 1. and 2. depend on it (see the debian-cd sources)
We can patch debian-cd so that instead of taking the mirror's /doc
it uses the DDP CVS but that is not an easy fix.

> Clearly point 1 must be solved now, then 2 and later 3.
> And I am not sure that 2 is needed, because these manuals are
> already packaged (this has been told on IRC).

	Read above regarding dependancies. In any case not *all*
manuals are packaged BTW.

> So I suggest to ship an expurged version of your index.en.html
> for use with CD1, i.e. with no reference to manuals/ and
> development/ directories.

	Mi idea is to have the same index.en.html file for ftp.debian.org
and provide different index.XX.html files for all the CDs.

> We (I mean you, of course ;o)) will prepare enhanced indices later
> for ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/

	That's rather what I'm trying to do now.

> I am still concerned with directory layout, having indices (and
> your is fine) does not help FTP clients nor browsing CDs.

	Yes, I agree. However, that's what the README file is for
(to explain the logic behind the layout )

> I'll send my revised scripts to generate HTML files from web pages,
> and make output online so that you can see what I am suggesting.
> Hopefully it will happen tonight.

	Ok. I will check, however take in account that doc-debian
currently takes the HTMl files and converts them to TXT for many documents
under project/. Since these are pretty small documents I'm not really sure
we need HTML versions.

> Some comments about index content:
>   * Installation manual is missing

	Yes. I should add manually a link to ../install. Note, however,
that the installation manual is provided by the boot-floppies team and
installed byhand to the /debian/dists/XXXX/install directories. The CD's
/install points there and the /doc/install points to /install (pretty
ugly, don't you think?)

>   * In first paragraph, there could be links to other parts (FAQ,
>     manuals, developer's information,...)

	Agreed.

>   * Idem with ``see FORMATS below''

	Agreed.

>   * There are several Chinese extensions (zh-cn, zh-hk, zh-tw)
> Apart from that, it is nice, thanks for the job.

	Problem is, I do not know what they refer to. Language_names.pl
should be updated with their description.

	Regards

	Javi