Re: cvs commit to ddp/manuals.sgml/faq by osamu

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:33:30PM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 06:08:16PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 09:15:20AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > > Please update me your opinion on this matter.  My current understandings
> > > are:
> > >        Option1(this / that)  Option2(this/ that)  Option3(this/that)
> > > Osamu  Yes                   OK                   prefer to avoid
> > > Josip  Better over Opt2      prefer to avoid      No comment
> > > Denis  No(Strong)            No comment           Yes(Strong)
> > > Chris  Yes?(implied)         No comment           No comment
> >
> > I choose ... <pensive> door 1!
> >
> > Yeah, I've always preferred that format anyway, I think it's easier
> > to read and more consistent.
> >
> > However, isn't the particular case you're talking about actually a
> > case of program syntax? I mean, you shouldn't break the syntax if
> > that's what it is.
>
> This is not any part of short-form SGML syntax nor and part of example
> script.
>
> Just a part of plain text contents.  Since SGML parsers treats "/" as
> non-whitespace characters, it treats "/" as a part of long word and does
> not break line.
> ---x8 snip-start
> <sect id="depends">What is meant by saying that a package
>   Depends/Recommends/Suggests/Conflicts/Replaces/Provides another package?
> ---x8 snip-end
>
> Real question is what is the correct or recommended practice for this
> type of situation?  Someone with access to some authoritative English
> style guide books for technical writing maybe the one to judge.  It
> ain't me.
>
> Chris, hint, hint, ...(You seem to be the only native English speaker on
> this thread)

Really? Shucks. I'd say, go for it! It wouldn't make sense to a
typesetter to do it the way they've done it, and that's probably who
should really be authoritative on this one.

Denis hasn't weighed back in, but I really think he misunderstood at
first, like I did. It's easier to read with the spaces in.