Re: Release notes

Here are some suggestions to clean up the language a bit.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 03:36:39PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> "Debian 3.0 is much more secure that previous releases. The base installation provides
> less unnecessary services that might be the target of attack, likewise Debian 3.0
> includes many more security applications, tasks like firewall administration, server
> hardening and intrusion detection. The packaging system has also been improved sot it can
> be configured to automaticly check of digital signatures, thus, it will refuse to install
> packages downloaded from Debian that do not verify correctly, limiting the possibility of
> troyan installation and making it easie for systems to automatically upgrade over the
> Internet. Lastly, Debian now provides also intensive documentation for the security-aware
> administrator including the 'Securing Debian Manual' from the Debian Documentation

"Debian 3.0 is much more secure that previous releases. The base installation provides
fewer unnecessary services that might be the target of an attack. Additionally, Debian 3.0
includes many more security applications, such as firewall administration, server
hardening and intrusion detection. The packaging system has also been improved so it can
be configured to automatically check digital signatures. Thus, it will refuse to install
packages from Debian that do not verify correctly, limiting the possibility of
trojan packages and making it easier for systems to automatically upgrade over the
                              ^^^^^^ safer?
Internet. Lastly, Debian also provides extensive documentation for the security aware
administrator, including the 'Securing Debian Manual' from the Debian Documentation

> Project (available in the 'harden-doc' package or online at
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto)"
>
> Finally, I would also say that Debian is now "much more international", however
> I'm not sure if some of the information below is ready for Debian 3.0 so we
> should need to check:
>
> "Debian 3.0 is much more internationalized that previous releases thanks to the ongoing
> work of free software translation teams. Debian includes default settings for more
> languages than previouss releases, and more of its programs are international-ready.
> This includes the boot-floppies installation which is translated to a number of
> languages. There is extensive support for, at least, french, german, italian, japanese
> and spanish, and there are more than fifteen active translation teams. See
> http://www.debian.org/international";

"Debian 3.0 has much better internationalization than previous releases thanks to the ongoing
work of translation teams. Debian includes default settings for more
languages than previous releases, and more of its programs are international ready.
This includes the installation, which is translated to a number of
                 ^ got rid of 'boot-floppies' since most readers would
                   simply be confused by those words in this context
http://www.debian.org/international for more information."

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org