Re: DDP's document licenses

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, David Starner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:59:48PM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> >
> > 	I think that we should work in having an uniform license for all the
> > documents distributed from the DDP. Currently all documents have a
> > copyright/license that suited the author but I fear that no serious work has
> > been done in order to make sure that it is a license that will suit Debian's
> > social contract.
>
> Why? Does there need to be? Are there any documents that aren't clearly
> DFSG-free?

Anything with a (C) notice and NO explicit license is NOT DSFG-free.
The release-notes for example have no explicit license, but also no (C);
I don't know what that would mean for DSFG-freeness. Same with "dselect
Documentation for Beginners". Most other docs/manuals are GPL2, but some would
argue that that isn't particularly suited for documentation. Also see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#FreeDocumentationLicenses

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer