Re: New Document in the DDP: Securing Debian HOWTO

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:56:23PM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

> 	I have just uploaded to the DDP CVS and the WWW CVS a new DDP
> document called "Securing Debian Manual" (in fact a HOWTO) made by Alexander
> Reelsen, who has given permission to include it as a part of the DDP
> documentation.

It is great seeing this in the DDP. I have spent a few hours going through
the CVS version and making changes. Unless I knew something was incorrect,
for example openssh now supports ssh2, the meaning of the text was changed
as little as possible:
 - removed most uses of 'I'.
 - fixed poor grammar and some awkward sentences
 - some changes to improve clarity
 - removed many unneeded commas
You will notice that the tone is a bit more formal. This was a conscious
decision which I believe is important for a document such as this.

Given the number of changes, someone should review this before committing
it to make sure I haven't introduced any errors. Unfortunately, the diff
ended being bigger than the original so instead of including it here,
it can be found at
http://people.debian.org/~treacy/securing-debian-howto.sgml.diff

I did not check the section on quota.

This document is already full of great information. With some work,
we can really help to improve Debian's reputation as a secure
distribution.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org