Re: Unidentified subject!

Jason Crosswhite wrote:
  >Hello,
  >
  >I am not sure that this is the correct forum to direct
  >my inquiry, but I couldn't find a "interested about
  >voulunteering" form on the web site.  (I did look
  >for quite some time!)

The new "New Maintainer" process has not yet been put in place. We are
currently working on it.  It will cater for people wanting to write
documentation as well as package maintainers.

  >One of the main impediments to Linux seems to be the
  >lack of documentation, and little thought put in to
  >the end user experience that isn't of a techincal
  >nature, although it seems to be getting much better.
  >
  >I would be interested in helping write documentation,
  >proof reading and creating installation dialogues,
  >and helping with the layout of desktops, etc.  In short
  >anything that would make the end user experience
  >better for the casual Linux user.
  >
  >That is if you want me!  Looking back on a couple of
  >those paragraphs, I see my writing can be
  >ungrammatical as well!  But my heart is in the right
  >place.
  >
  >I am a geophysics grad student at the University of
  >Oregon, and have been using Linux as a platform to
  >do scientific computing for many years now.  I am
  >quite familiar with Linux and Unix in general.
  >
  >Please let me know if I can be of help.

The best thing to do is to identify some documentation that needs
writing or improving.  Announce your plans to the debian-doc list,
in case you might be treading on someone's toes, and get on with it.
If it affects more than just Debian, you might also need to consult
more widely.

Once you have something, post again and someone on the list will
be able to get the new documentation installed.  When the New
Maintainer process is up and running, you will be able to
apply for direct access.

     "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure,
      pressed down, taken together and running over,
      will be poured into your lap. For with the same
      measure that you use, it will be measured to
      you."         Luke 6:38