Re: Installing many languages of docs

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 02:57:23PM +0300, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> but it requires the cooperation of the dpkg maintainer.
> Ian has always said that "partia installation" is in his todo queue, but

In fact, the solutions should base on this dpkg features IMHO.

User should be able to say: "don't stop to this directory, it's mine
(or is nfs mounted, or I don't want /usr/share/man/ja)" If this is done
through a regex, this can be easily done to configure it for any
language. eg: /usr/*/man/ja* is enough to remove any japanaze pages.

After that, we can make an install-l10n that can add/remove some
sections (like install-l10n '/usr/share/doc/package/${LANG}')
which will ask debconf for the list of language to excluded and replace
${LANG} with the corresponding regexp ($1/*) The policy should then specify
how those localize versions should be install.
(PS: this is the --configure step)

The install-L10N ask also a list of prefered languages and try to

ln -s ${prefered-language} `LANG=C eval $1` ${preferred-lang}
(note: this doesn't work but i think you can catch it)

until it find one those it fit. Elsewhere, it catchback to
to a special /usr/share/doc/package/default which is the default
documentation (note: the maintainer should set a symlink to, e.g,
/usr/share/doc/package/en so that the default language is known.)
(PS: This is the --install step)

In brief,

Install default documentation in /usr/share/doc/package/default
Do ln -s ${default-lang} /usr/share/doc/package/default
Install any other documentation in /usr/share/doc/package/${other-lang}
Call install-L10N --package=package --configure '/usr/share/doc/package/${LANG}' in the pre-inst script.
Call install-L10N --package=package --install in the post-inst script.

> > t.aa
> > --
> > The best bugs are put where nobody tests.  (Hans Shaeffer)
>
> I'll banner that on all v13a_hp* I can find ...
>

> fab
> --
> | fab@pukki.ntc.nokia.com     fpolacco@prosa.it    fpolacco@debian.org
> | 6F7267F5 fingerprint 57 16 C4 ED C9 86 40 7B 1A 69 A1 66 EC FB D2 5E
> | fabrizio.polacco@nokia.com                  gsm: +358 (0)40 707 2468

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur Gris               Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70