Re: proposal for managing man pages in CVS

adam@onshore.com (Adam Di Carlo) writes:

> >I suppose that nabetani's proposal is not to dictate to maintainers,
> >but to provide the integrated working place for translators.
> >
> >Of course, if the source for package is managed by CVS, and if the translators
> >can get the account to access there, it is welcome for the translators.
>
> We already provide the DDP CVS area.  What else can we do?
>
> >But if it is not the choice by the maintainers, it may be better
> >to gather the work of translators from all over the world into one
> >integrated place that to split them scattered, becuase it may reduce
> >the work for the maintainers when he decide to update their translated
> >manpages. He can do it simply by getting current translated version
> >from the CVS. If he put his new original manpages into that CVS, then
> >the translators will work for his upcoming new version. The maintainers
> >does not need to import the whole of his source code into CVS.
> >
> >Or Do I have misunderstand ? Please tell me if I have. Thanks.
>
> No, you don't misunderstand, I'm just pointing out we already have
> this infrastructure available.  What's next is just to maybe setup a
> new module -- I'd be happy to set one up for you in
> cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc if you like -- and convince maintainers
> to use it if they want to.

I would like to setup new module "manpages"
in cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc. Directory scheme in it will be

  manpages/<packagename>/<manpage>.[1-9]
  manpages/<packagename>/<lang>/<manpage>.[1-9]

Is it OK? Please give me a account in cvs.debian.org.

> I object to any attempt to *require* this practice however.

Of course, I think this practice should be temporary. But, I also
think it will be the best way of translating manpages, because
Debian-specific packages are over 40 and Debian-specific manpages
are more than 150.

Thanks.

    --- Hidenobu NABETANI <nabe@debian.or.jp>