Re: proposal for managing man pages in CVS

Hi. Thank you for your effort to i18n of Debian :)

In article <[🔎] oag10ipeam.fsf@burrito.onshore.com>
 adam@onshore.com (Adam Di Carlo) writes:

> NABETANI Hidenobu <nabetani@kern.phys.sci.osaka-u.ac.jp> writes:
>
> > I propose that Debian-specific man pages should be managed in CVS,
> > which has the following good feature:
> >
> >   * Of course, many good feature of CVS.
> >   * The package maintainers can easily get the translated man pages
> >     for their packages.
> >
> > I have already translated some Debian-specific man pages to Japanese.
> > To maintain them up-to-date and easily commit them to the maintainer,
> > they should be managed in CVS, I think.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> We have no authority to dictate to maintainers how they should go
> about managing their own sources.  I can only say that we freely offer
> use of cvs.debian.org for any debian project -- I think this helps
> translators of the developers-reference, boot-floppies, and other
> various DDP documentations.

I suppose that nabetani's proposal is not to dictate to maintainers,
but to provide the integrated working place for translators.

Of course, if the source for package is managed by CVS, and if the translators
can get the account to access there, it is welcome for the translators.

But if it is not the choice by the maintainers, it may be better
to gather the work of translators from all over the world into one
integrated place that to split them scattered, becuase it may reduce
the work for the maintainers when he decide to update their translated
manpages. He can do it simply by getting current translated version
from the CVS. If he put his new original manpages into that CVS, then
the translators will work for his upcoming new version. The maintainers
does not need to import the whole of his source code into CVS.

Or Do I have misunderstand ? Please tell me if I have. Thanks.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>