Re: Making translated doc accesible

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 04:39:38PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> James> Adam has done some wonderful things to improve the
> James> documentation and allow its translation but does not have the
> James> time to manage the actual documents. I believe he agrees with
> James> me that someone from the doc group should manage this. Of
> James> course, the webmasters will help make it easy to maintain the
> James> pages on the web site.
>
> Josip Rodin was going to do this!
>
> He got through all of the design and planning phase, I believe, but
> then stalled out.

Yes. As you may remember (I posted my HOs on -doc [1]) because of small
number of the docs that would be suitable for this. I looked over most
docs, and in most of them saw unfinishedness, incompleteness and overall
below-the-line quality. *sigh*

> Josip, would it be possible to get kick-started, and complete the work
> you did to get the DDP CVS area installed automatically into the
> Debian web areas somewhere?

Well, we could export them all to the right directory right this moment,
but there are only five (5) docs that would *maybe* be good enough to
enter the wide world of www.debian.org and its mirrors. The 6 remaining
are *not* in shape to go anywhere. So we are on -1 :(

How can we resolve this? I don't think just not linking them from
/doc/index.html would be nice, since the mirrors will mirror it all.
OTOH, the overall size of all HTMLs in there is just ~600kb.

I must emphasize that this is all just MHO, and not a flame test.

[1] See http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-doc-9903/msg00024.html .