Re: deb-make is evil (was Re: a few ideas)

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 10:16:33AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Josip> BTW I read what is supposed to be Programmmers
> Josip> Manual. Unfortunately, this document is way way behind others
> Josip> covering the same subject, and Igor Grobman is gone. I feel
> Josip> that it would do more good if we removed this document (and put
> Josip> it somewhere for archive), and moved Jaldhar Vyas' deb-make
> Josip> manual in CVS - since if we are going to recommend using
> Josip> deb-make for new maintainers let's do it with right manual (and
> Josip> the latter one just needs some polishing to be proper).
>
> Wuh wuh wuh??
>
> We definately are not recommending deb-make for new maintainers.
> Despite what Santiago may say, debstd/deb-make is definately
> deprecated.  Any manuals suggesting deb-make are buggy and should be
> fixed or removed, IMHO.

I wouldn't go that far, but I am also in favor of debhelper (dh_make
is the black sheep of debhelper, thus separated :).

I'd rather say, if we already have a *good* manual such as Jaldhar's,
we should try to do something about it, not just waste it. Afterall,
the link on www.debian.org/devel/ still exists. Either we get a new
consensus on which tool(s) we recommend to the new maintainers or
we keep the good manual.

Is this an issue for debian-vote, or should just someone post to
devel-announce asking for experienced developers' opinions about
the recommendation? I'd prefer the latter, and that someone from
the technical comittee does it (it would make it more credible).