Re: Install instructions

>>>>> "jt" == James A Treacy <treacy@debian.org> writes:

jt> On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 02:27:40PM +0000, Martin Carpenter wrote:

>> Secondly, it'd be nice to have the size (in bytes) of the
>> downloadable floppy images somewhere near the links: I performed
>> several simultaneous unattended downloads, and the network
>> connection obviously died sometime near the end.  Result - lots of
>> cut disks with "bad checksum" errors, and some confusion for me
>> (and I tried re-downloading base5 several times, because I didn't
>> know if it should be smaller than the rest or not... it is...).

Ugh, this is the responsibility of your FTP client, IMHO, not the
Install Manual.

jt> The problem with this is that the documentation would not be
jt> correct if the install files are updated and the sizes
jt> change.

Yes, there's that too.

jt> Also, size alone does not guarantee that the downloaded
jt> version is correct. The correct way to do this is to point to a
jt> file that contains checksums for the files. Such a file exists,
jt> md5sum.txt, in the install directory and should be linked from the
jt> install docs.

Yes, we do that now.