Re: Install instructions

On Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 02:27:40PM +0000, Martin Carpenter wrote:

> Just a couple of minor things that I thought it might be worthwhile to point
> out re: the installation documentation available online:
>
>  ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/install.html
>
> Firstly, there's some duff HTML for section 4.13 (a missing </h2>).

This is well known. I'm not sure why it never got fixed. Since Debian 2.1
is being released in one week, it probably won't be fixed.

> Secondly, it'd be nice to have the size (in bytes) of the downloadable floppy
> images somewhere near the links: I performed several simultaneous unattended
> downloads, and the network connection obviously died sometime near the end.
> Result - lots of cut disks with "bad checksum" errors, and some confusion for
> me (and I tried re-downloading base5 several times, because I didn't know if it
> should be smaller than the rest or not... it is...).

The problem with this is that the documentation would not be correct if the
install files are updated and the sizes change. Also, size alone does not
guarantee that the downloaded version is correct. The correct way to do this is
to point to a file that contains checksums for the files. Such a file exists,
md5sum.txt, in the install directory and should be linked from the
install docs.

I'm forwarding this to debian-doc so this should be taken care of for Debian 2.1

Jay Treacy