Re: ATTN: ABOUT PAGE: .../disks-i386/current/install.html

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, James A. Treacy wrote:

> I'm forwarding this to the people working on the documentation
> (which includes the installation manual. Debian 2.1 is going to
> be released next week so it is unlikely the 2.0 install manual
> will be changed. Hopefully, if any changes are needed for the 2.1
> install, they'll be added.
>
> Jay Treacy
>
> On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 01:45:54PM +0200, Jordan Ilchev wrote:
> > Hello Good Fellows at Debian,
> >
> > I am just installed Debian distribution to one old i486(with 4MB RAM)
> >
> > Thanks !!! :-)
> >
> > I found some problems about lowmemory installation section (7.2) of
> > ?install.html?:
> >
> > If someone follow the instruction and "Create/Activate the swap
> > partition."(64MB for example in my case), when normal installation starts
> > you will be asked again to "Initialize and Activate the Swap Disk Partition"
> > and at this point you CAN'T activate your swap partition becomes it?s
> > working (busy)
> >
> > I think you must fix this confusion in install instructions !!!
> >
> > My solution was to make another small swap just for lowmemory install at
> > ?/dev/hda4?, and leave my 64MB Swap for main installation

In my Dutch Debian Manual (http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/debian/handleiding) I
wrote that low-mem users should _skip_ the `activate swap' step in the main
installation menu, and just before the reboot, `ae /etc/fstab' and include one
line for the swap partition. With an example of course:

  /dev/hda8    none    swap    sw    0    0

"...and change /dev/hda8 to indicate your swap partition."

Hoping this will be useful, regards,

  Anne Bezemer