Re: install.html suggestion (fwd)

Andrew Sajo wrote:
> I would like first of all to give my compliments on the authoring of
> the install.html file on the www.debian.org site! it is very
> understandable, currently i'm moving form w95 to Debian!!!, it came
> very handly endeed.

Wow, I'm impressed.

As you may know, we're preparing for the release of Debian 2.1.  Igor
is taking a break so I've been working on the documentation for that
release.

If you're interested, you can read my new Installation Manual (not
officially released, under development) at
<URL:http://www.debian.org/~aph/boot-floppies/i386/install.html>.

> My suggestion is the following:

> . There is on the market a program designed for w95 but runs fine on
> DOS to repartition your drive without any loss of data, the progran
> is called Partition Magic 3.0 or 4.0 from PowerQuest.  I think it's
> another solution for the re-partitioning of the dirve(s).  Off
> course it is usefull only for those persons who have access to
> it. But I think its worth in suggesting this alternative.

> PartitionMagic 3.0 is quite stabe it only gave an error 1 in 4 times
> i used it and it wasen't so critical i didn't loose information.

Yes, I have actually used Partition Magic before and it works quite
handily.  However, Partition Magic is non-free software, so I don't
feel good recommending it; that is, unless the are willing to release
a free version.  Anyhow, I'd hate to give free advertising to a
company.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion, however.