Re: doc directory of the web pages

On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 04:19:10AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Ok.  Well, let me first give you the skinny.  There are many issues in
> play here.

[snip]

You have brought up the two items I was interested in: structure and document
readiness. As far as structure is concerned, it would be helpful to those
writing documentation if the location of documents is consistent between
the different areas that use them, ie. the archive, debian web pages and
/usr/doc/ on machines at home. With that in mind the location of Debian
documentation was following the structure of /doc in the archive (there
seems to have been some divergence over time though).

I would much prefer it if the doc people told us how to organize the doc/
directory on the web site. Links from sections that need to reference them
can do so by pointing to the location under doc/ . Also, there is at least
one link from a Debian doc into another one. That link is currently broken.
Having a known structure to the doc/ directory should alleviate that kind
of problem.

As far as document readiness goes, isn't this one of the uses of branches
in CVS? Development branches are split off and when a new release is desired,
you simply merge branches. Those only interested in the stable branches
can simply follow those.

> The final issue is that if we're going to do this, we might as well
> propogate it into http://www.debian.org/devel/ as well, since many
> manuals can go there also.

As mentioned above, this is unnecessary. We can just link the location under
the doc/ directory.

> James, is this the kind of information you were looking for?

Yes.

Jay Treacy