Re: doc directory of the web pages

In article <[🔎] 19981123005406.Z430@debian.org>, "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 12:25:41AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
>>  Can you give us an abstract of what is to be in the 'doc'
>> directory?  I assume we want basically what is there now, but more
>> of it.
>>
> What I am really asking is for the documentation people to tell us
> what should go in there. Someone on debian-www could spend a bunch
> of time going through all the stuff in the DDP and come up with
> something, but it makes more sense for the people who know the
> documentation to set up the framework.

Ok.  Well, let me first give you the skinny.  There are many issues in
play here.

The first question is, which DDP-managed documents are ready and
worthy for publication?  Obviously there are some that are worthy but
not yet ready.  I've made an effort recently to mark as orphaned/stale
the documents that are not being maintained.  So I would prefer is
someone else went though and selected.

The second issue is structure.  For DDP documents which are managed in
CVS, with debiandoc-sgml (which is about half, I'd guess, more to
come, I hope), it is quite easy to automatically (or manually, when
appropriate) check out the module ddp/manuals.sgml from
':ext:<user>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-doc' and say 'make
PUBLISHDIR=whatever <manual>' and it will publish HTML to the right
area, within a subdirectory named <manual>, i.e., the HTML would be
<PUBLISHDIR>/<manual>/index.html (etc).  Hopefully this works for you,
if not, we can fix it.

I would imagine that it might be of questionable value to
automatically (nightly, weekly) install the most up-to-date source
from CVS.  I'm just not sure.

The final issue is that if we're going to do this, we might as well
propogate it into http://www.debian.org/devel/ as well, since many
manuals can go there also.

James, is this the kind of information you were looking for?