Re: translations of documentation

Adam Di Carlo <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> writes:

> In article <87pvapuhha.fsf@flevonet.nl>, Ardo van Rangelrooij <avrangel@flevonet.nl> writes:
> > IIRC, last year Christian Leutloff (hi!) proposed a mechanism for
> > this based on a so-called "skeleton".  It should be in the
> > debian-doc mail archive.
>
> > It more or less comes down to the following: Each section of a
> > document contains such a skeleton (using appropriate SGML entities)
> > outlining all the important information including figures, examples,
> > tables, etc.  The author of a partiular (part of a) document for a
> > particular language uses the skeleton for writing the actual text in
> > that language.  This means we only have to maintain these skeletons
> > in a central place, and let the (team of) language author(s) worry
> > about the exact wording.
>
> Hmm.  I don't really get it -- I guess I'd like to see an example.
> What I was thinking was using SGML conditionals, i.e.,
>
> <![ %LANG_EN [
>   The information is here.
> ]]>
>
> <![ %LANG_DE [
>   Die Information ist heir.
> ]]>
>
> Kinda icky, I guess.

that wasn't what I've meant.

> I think the requirements are:
>
>   * ability to do basic versioning, i.e., translators know which sections
>     need to be retranslated (synopticism)

that's the main problem when the first translation is done and the
original document is updated. For the translation it is not important
to follow changes regarding the wording. Therefor I suggest to use a
skeleton to maintain the main content of each document. the translator
Only has to follow the changes to this skeleton. So it's relative easy
to have up to date translations.

Bye
  Christian

--