Re: Debian Metadata Proposal -- draft rev.1.4

On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 01:49:06PM -0400, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde) writes:
> > APH>      Currently, the domain of allowable values is
> > APH>
> > APH>         * howto
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > I don#t understand that. We don#t need that, because for this purpose we
> > have got the section tag.
> Not as I read the DDH.  Anyhow, it's an optional field.

I think this is a good idea. This seperates the orthogonal criteria for
document types, but adresses concerns of Marco that documents should be
accessible via the type.

So, a nice frontend could display the DDH or, alternatively, the Types:.
> > APH>      Title
> > APH>           LANG
> > APH>                can set
> >
> > Not necessary, the title should be in the language of the document.
> !!  Duh!  That's a good point!  I guess you're right that there's no
> point on translating the title of an english document into German, is
> there?

I think it is a very good idea to translate the title of a document.
It is done so everytime (and translating titles of computer related
documents isn't a big deal).

> If I recall, you would prefer to have docreg files in the
> documentation area, i.e., /usr/doc/<pkg>.  I am amenable to this,
> actually, but if you're going to be reading docreg files directly, I
> think this is going to be evil.

The docreg file isn't documentation, therefore it has nothing to do in
/usr/doc. They shouldn't appear there, and I *hate* dot files elsewhere than
in my home directory, where I don't know about them.
> > APH> is not      enforced; however, these file names must be globally unique
> > APH> across all      packages.
> >
> > Right and this is one problem with this solution. What#s your problem with
> > my solution: docreg in /usr/doc/<foo>?
> Like I said:
>   (a) I don't really care that much
>   (b) any scheme *must* allow us to serve documents off other servers,
>       i.e., debian DDP web area
>   (c) all identifiers for documents *should* allow us to transition to a
>       URN scheme very easily, if not use that from the get-go

I would add:
 (d) It would be a dot file then, and I hate dot files.
 (e) It is not documentation.
> If you can restate your entire scheme for 'Identifier' and for docreg
> file placement, and show how that addresses points (b) and (c), I will
> adopt it.

> > I#m missing the tags for adding new sections and their description.
> Yes, that's not part of the docreg spec per se.  The DDH is a "SCHEME"
> for our subject tree.  (Other schemes, i.e., dewey decimal system, we
> do not use).
> Marco is working on this.  I'll probably help him with the definition
You mean "Marcus" here, don't you?

> of the file format.  It's pretty straight forward, it's not in a
> standard format because there *are* no such standards AFAIK, and it
> hasn't changed much.

Maybe we can adopt some ideas from the docreg format (Adam, what about
"Date" instead "Update" and other renamings?).
Going to the next message,