Re: DebianDoc postscript output

Havoc Pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:
> This has been bothering me for a little while. The postscript output from
> DebianDoc seems to have a lot of little glitches, like extra or missing
> spaces; line breaks seem to matter, where in LaTeX they would not. Is this
> problem with DebianDoc or lout? How difficult would it be to use LaTeX
> instead, if the latter? Is this a known problem? Does the tutorial do
> something wrong to cause this?

You know, Havoc, I personally am not sure.  I generally avoid lout for
everything but ASCII output.  I suggest you submit a bug.

What would be nice would be to have alternate techniques for
formatting debiandoc-sgml documents.  I maintain both jade and sdc.
With jade, we'd need DSSSL to be able to format debiandoc-sgml, but
the limitation with jade is that it doesn't have ASCII or NROFF
backends, and it seems that people are loath to add backend to jade
since apparently its wierd C++ code.  sdc's problem is that it uses
non-free bigloo, but little birdies tell me that will be fixed by late
fall.