Re: Programming Tutorial

On 28 Jun 1998, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:

> I assume we're not going to teach general programming or a
> specific chapter. Our idea is to walk through the common use
> of compilers, debuggers, automake, libraries and all such things.
> Does this sound right? We also wonder if we should give a short
> rundown of the most common (and some uncommon) languages and try
> to make some neutral notes on their strengths and weaknesses,
> and perhaps have some appendices with info on specific areas
> such as CGI-programming.

More and more persons with little or no CS or programming backround will
be trying and using Debian.  I should know I'm one of them. These people
will quickly learn as I have that some programming knowledge is essential
to fully  appreciate and enjoy Linux.  A full tutorial on basic proramming
is not needed, but some guidance for the inexperienced self learner would
be invaluable.  Here are some recommendations, from a none programmer, for
things you may wish to include.

1. Book recommendations for each language (including scripting) and
general programming.  These should be for beginners, intermediates and
advanced programmers
2. Referals to Online (internet)  programming tutorals and news groups.
3. An explanation of Make and makefiles.  Perhaps expect also.
4. A fairly specific recommended course of study for the self learner.
5. An archive of example code on the web site.
6. A general outline of the procedure and problems of program development
and program porting in Debian Linux enviournment.

Lastly, I note that I have read complaints about linux programmers from
the unix community.  The primary one is that Linux C and C++ code is not
portable to other Unix platforms.  I am not sure if this is true, or what
to do about it.  I do think that this problem, if it exists, should be
dealt with and an attempt at correction made.  So perhaps some rules for
writing portable code should be discussed in the tutorial.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful, and I thank you for
your contributions to Debian.

Tom