Re: Programming Tutorial

Tom Malloy <tjm1@thorn.net> writes:
> Lastly, I note that I have read complaints about linux programmers from
> the unix community.  The primary one is that Linux C and C++ code is not
> portable to other Unix platforms.  I am not sure if this is true, or what
> to do about it.  I do think that this problem, if it exists, should be
> dealt with and an attempt at correction made.  So perhaps some rules for
> writing portable code should be discussed in the tutorial.

Hmm.  Pointers to places to read about programming portable code,
probably.

As to why, perhaps, Linux attracts attention as a system where
programmers do not code portably, I think this is simply because Linux
is pretty much the edge of unix which is attracting new programmers,
possibly Window programmers or people with not much programming
experience at all.  And naturally, these newbies are going to probably
not write the best, most portable code.  So blaming Linux itself is
not really productive.  But we can do our part by encouraging and
making sure we use the standards and the road-tested knowledge.