FSF Document Licence (was Re: Contributing to the Debian Users' Manual)

On Fri, Jun 05, 1998 at 10:28:11AM -0500, robert havoc pennington wrote:

[snap lot of good news]

> - RMS is reading the manual, and will get back to me on possible
> cooperation with the FSF, merging with their GNU/Linux Cookbook. This
> would have the following implications:
>   - Using their docs license instead of the GPL
>   - All contributors would have to assign copyright to the FSF
>   - Writing in a more general way, though Debian specifics could be
>     included too
>   - The parts of the manual lifted from the LDP manual might have to go,
>     if Larry Greenfield is unwilling to assign copyright. AFAIK we haven't
>     asked him though. The LDP guide is GPL but doesn't use the FSF docs
>     copyright.                                                 ^^^^^^^^
      ^^^^^^^^^
          +-------[ Humm... what is this? ]

>   - The manual would be printed up and its sales would benefit the FSF.
>     This is the big advantage, aside from not duplicating effort. I'd like
>     to have a hard copy, and I bet others would too.
>   - There might be some conflict on DebianDoc vs. Texinfo - this is pure
>     speculation, RMS hasn't mentioned it.
> Once RMS gets back to me, we will have to decide if we want to do this.

I just want to know what is this document licence. I can't find it anywhere
on the FSF site or in their docs [or may be I'm too lazy to check all their
GNU code... ]. Can you give me a pointer. Documentation is one of the
major flaw I of the GPL, IMHO.

Thanks and good luck with this project.

> So that's what's going on, so you understand the bureaucratic situation.
> ;-) However, there's nothing to keep you from starting on sections of the
> manual. Pretty much anything that's not there remains to be written. I
> think there is a section on vi in the LDP user's guide; you might want to
> grab this from the LDP directory on sunsite and see if it's usable before
> writing your own. However, as I say it's possible that we won't be able to
> use the LDP stuff.
>
> Well, have a look at all the empty sections in the current manual, and see
> if you can fill one in.
>
> Thanks,

Fabien Ninoles                                  Running Debian/GNU Linux
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                      http://www.callisto.si.usherb.ca/~94246757
WorkStation [available when connected!]:     http://nightbird.tzone.org/
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70