Re: Debiandoc vs Linuxdoc

Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo.van.rangelrooij@tip.nl> writes:
> Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:
> > 	I was wondering the other day when I translated the New Debian
> > Maintainer HOWTO about the differences between debiandoc and
> > linuxdoc-sgml. Specifically I wanted to know why debiandoc hasn't got a
> > url or htmlurl tag (AFAIK only email, and ftp are available). That way
> > linking to other documents in the web is no possible.
> > 	Is this standard policy or could this be discussed and, possibly,
> > changed?
>
> I don't why it isn't in the package but maybe Ian Jackson can shed a
> light on this.  It's AFAIK certainly no policy.  I guess it wasn't
> deemed necessary at the time of the design of the package.
>
> Fortunately for you (and others :-) this is one of the things I'm
> currently working on to add to the package.  Since I will be out of
> town the last two weeks of May this will not be available until
> somewhere in June.

I concurr that we need a generic reference type.  In fact, this could
subsume the ftp stuff, which I think is a little awkward, although I'm
not sure too much what it's rationale is.

How are you planning to write the DTD for URLs?  You could say either
(html style) <url id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>Bar home page</url> or
more in keeping (I think) with debiandoc-sgml as it is now, just <url
id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>.  Alternatively, you could do either way
using a more generic <ref> tag, i.e., <ref type="url"
id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>, and with or without the labeling.

> Are there more things you find missing of different or ... ?  I can't
> garuantee all your wishes will be met (we like to keep the package
> well-designed and thought-through), but maybe we can accomodate you.

Ardo, I'm glad to see you're continuing to improve the system.

This is a heads up.  For slink, we're (hopefully) going to have a
pretty thorough and complete method of cataloging all the
documentation that is installed locally, including HTML files, SGML
files, ASCII, even .info files I think (ok, not man pages ;).  Each
"document" (which may be several files) has a globally unique
documentid set by the pkg maintainer, and may have any number of
formats available.  Local user preferences will control how/which
format is displayed when the document is referenced.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that debiandoc-sgml can be outfitted with a method
of referring to document-ids.  So you could say:

  <docref id="packaging-manual">

or

  <ref type="debiandoc" id="packaging-manual">

Thoughts?