Re: Debiandoc vs Linuxdoc

Hi!

apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) writes:

> Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo.van.rangelrooij@tip.nl> writes:
> > Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:
> > > 	I was wondering the other day when I translated the New Debian
> > > Maintainer HOWTO about the differences between debiandoc and
> > > linuxdoc-sgml. Specifically I wanted to know why debiandoc hasn't got a
> > > url or htmlurl tag (AFAIK only email, and ftp are available). That way
> > > linking to other documents in the web is no possible.
> > > 	Is this standard policy or could this be discussed and, possibly,
> > > changed?
> >
> > I don't why it isn't in the package but maybe Ian Jackson can shed a
> > light on this.  It's AFAIK certainly no policy.  I guess it wasn't
> > deemed necessary at the time of the design of the package.
> >
> > Fortunately for you (and others :-) this is one of the things I'm
> > currently working on to add to the package.  Since I will be out of
> > town the last two weeks of May this will not be available until
> > somewhere in June.
>
> I concurr that we need a generic reference type.  In fact, this could
> subsume the ftp stuff, which I think is a little awkward, although I'm
> not sure too much what it's rationale is.

Again, only Ian Jackson knows.

> How are you planning to write the DTD for URLs?  You could say either
> (html style) <url id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>Bar home page</url> or
> more in keeping (I think) with debiandoc-sgml as it is now, just <url
> id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>.  Alternatively, you could do either way
> using a more generic <ref> tag, i.e., <ref type="url"
> id="http://www.foo.com/bar/";>, and with or without the labeling.

I'll very likely follow the ftpsite/ftppath approach to keep things
consistent.  For the <ref> approach see below.

> > Are there more things you find missing of different or ... ?  I can't
> > garuantee all your wishes will be met (we like to keep the package
> > well-designed and thought-through), but maybe we can accomodate you.
>
> Ardo, I'm glad to see you're continuing to improve the system.

Thanks.

> This is a heads up.  For slink, we're (hopefully) going to have a
> pretty thorough and complete method of cataloging all the
> documentation that is installed locally, including HTML files, SGML
> files, ASCII, even .info files I think (ok, not man pages ;).  Each
> "document" (which may be several files) has a globally unique
> documentid set by the pkg maintainer, and may have any number of
> formats available.  Local user preferences will control how/which
> format is displayed when the document is referenced.

I know.  I was quite impressed when I saw the DDH proposal.  I'm
already thinking about Debian 2.1 as the "FHS & Documentation"
release. :-)

> Anyhow, I'm hoping that debiandoc-sgml can be outfitted with a method
> of referring to document-ids.  So you could say:
>
>   <docref id="packaging-manual">
>
> or
>
>   <ref type="debiandoc" id="packaging-manual">
>
> Thoughts?
>
> .....A. P. Harris...apharris@onShore.com...<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

Are you sure you've not been peeking at bug #14923? ;-)  We already
had a discussion on this in May last year resulting in the proposal
described in this bug report.  The proposal is to implement your
second suggestion which is also known as a URN (I think the DDP
hompage as a link to a website on this).  There're some small issues
which still need to be worked out (mainly directory and file name
related), but I'll post the proposal and the issues to debian-doc when
I'm ready to work on this (not to have the discussion again but to
resolve the issues).

My plan is first to work on the http thing and some other small
extensions, and then to work on the references.  And after that there
are figures, tables, skeletons, look&feel issues, a LaTeX converter
waiting to be included, various script improvements, documentation,
etc.  So, it'll be a busy Summer. :-)

Thanks,

Ardo
--