Re: Debian Documentation Hierarchy

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 08:37:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 19.04.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...
>
> Moin Marcus!
>
> MB> How will this structure be included in doc-base? If at all
>
> It should be included as docreg file to doc-base.

Yes, Christian and I already agreed on that, other did not spoke up yet.

> MB> possible, I would like to package it seperated from doc-base, by standard
> MB> registration files, so that I can update it frequently.
>
> I think that this is not a good idea, if doc-base becomes a standard
> package. I think it would be better to split the docreg file used by the
> programs (included in doc-base) and the documentation for the developers.
> The second should be a seperate package.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... You mean the documentation how
the programs should register and in which section, should be a seperate
package. Isn't this the purpose of the Debian Doc Policy anyway?

> MB> * Integrate "standards" (like rfc, w3c, etc) in the hierarchy.
>
> We need HOWTO, FAQ and RFC. But we don#t need w3c. This is only used by
> one package and so the package will create the needed directory itself. If
> we don#t do it this way, you have to change the standard with every new
> package that includes several documents.

Please see my other mail to this list ("Need section name...") and please
honor the comment at the top. Thank you.

> MB> * Integrate books and LDP works.
>
> I think something like
>
>   general/HOWTO
>           HOWTO/mini
>           FAQ/
>           books
>           magazines
>
> would be the best solution. This will solve a lot of problems that I#ve
> with your solution of admin/install.

Two points I have to say about this:

1) Such a section is in work (see the above mentioned mail). I just need a
name for it and "general" is *not* a good name, as it is saying nothing, and
the HOWTOs are mostly not general but very specific about a special topic.

I think "general" is a name you use when you have no better idea. We could
also call it "foobar" then ;)

2) You say that this will solve problems you see with admin/install. Please
clarify that. If you mean that HOWTO's should be removed from inst/admin and
from the rest of the hierarchy, I disagree, and other people said the same
(at least a few days ago). Note that this would not have the
effect that the sections in the inst/admin would be removed. There
are lots of other documents that have to reside there, so it is indeed very
useful to have all topic-related documents in one section, and all HOWTO's
*also* in /whatever/HOWTO.

3) I accept that HOWTO and FAQ's are common in the Linux world, but I want
to point out that the above laid out structure is sorting by document format
and not by content. It will only help if you have a special document in
mine, of which you know the format. This supports my opinion laid out in 2).

Thank you,
Marcus