Re^2: Debian Documentation Hierarchy

Am 20.04.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...

Moin Marcus!

MB> However, we certainly should make the relationship closer. I already added

This is not part of this discussion!

MB> The issue is not resolved yet. In the front-end, I prefer the flags
MB> (when in graphic mode) or locales ("DE", "EN") when in text mode,
MB> presented after the document name.

Ok, but other users prefer other solutions. That#s the reason, why we will
have several front-ends. This is the choice of the user and this should be
part of this standard.

MB> This is the reason why I want total control over sections. I think letting
MB> document registrations create sections will lead to sloppyness and
MB> inconsistency in the long run. If no section is appropriate, it should be

Sorry, but I disagree. Do you want to change your standard for every new
Debian package that includes more than one document? dhelp will of course
offer the possibly to add new subsections. For example I don#t understand,
why your standard includes subdirectories for a program like sendmail?
This package includes maybe two documents.

For example your standard you include:

  inst/net/Mail

and not
               /sendmail
               /exim

If a package is installed, it creates the needed subdirectories. So you
won#t have problems with new programs. And there#s another advantage: if
you add a new subdir for every new program in your standard, the program
package must depend on a special doc-base version.
This will force the user to install always a new doc-base, if he installs
a new program. That#s a bad idea.

MB> Does this sound okay, or am I writing stupid things late at night?

I prefer an open dicussion about this standard.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/