Re: Re^6: document registration policy needing to be written

On 16 Apr 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

[snip]
> > APH> Format: HTML
> > APH> Index: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.html/index.html
> > APH> Files: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.html/*.html
> >
> > What#s that? I don#t see any need for that. "File: " should be the root
> > document (index.html in this example). That#s difficult to parse in C.

(Just because you don't see a need for it doesn't mean it's useless. And
if it's too hard to code this in C, why don't you switch over to Perl? ;-)

> I'm not quite sure what's up with these.  Christian, can you recount
> the justification for these?

The "Files:" is needed for document conversion. doc-base will eventuall
support the following options (besides a lot of others):

    - keep plain HTML files
    - compress HTML files with gzip at installation time
    - ditto, but fix href's before
    - remove any HTML files at installation time

To be able to implement this, I've added the Files: tag. But since no
document conversion code has been written yet, this tag could also be
changed/renamed--if you think that's necessary.

> > APH> Blech.  Disagree.  Arguably, flat text files are our standard format;
> >
> > No, see Policy.
>
> I'm talking about reality, not policy.  Furthermore, Policy states
> that our official format is HTML.  But most policy documents, in fact,
> most people who care at all about writing documention in a
> media-neutral format, use SGML.
>
> We are beyond Policy.  We are setting policy here.  We should
> acknowledge the pragmatics, but have the vision to see the future.
> It's name is SGML.  (Mark my words, MSWord will support XML this
> year.)

Note, that we *do* have a DDP policy already--it doesn't have a new Doc
Policy Manual yet (though, I've started to work on this already), but it's
explained on our DDP home page at
  http://schwarz.developer.debian.org/doc/docpolicy.html

In short:

   - DDP manuals must be DFSG-free
   - filesystem layout is specified
   - debiandoc-sgml is used
   - any manual will have a single "Maintainer:" and optionally several
     "Co-Maintainers"

Cheers,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/