Re^6: document registration policy needing to be written

Am 14.04.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Moin Adam!

APH> Document: doc-base

What for is this?

APH> Title: Debian doc-base Manual

This is like my <linkname>?

APH> Author: Christian Schwarz

Do we need that?

APH> Abstract: This manual describes what doc-base is and how it can be used
APH> to  manage online manuals on Debian systems.

Ok, is should HTML be allowed?

APH> Section: Apps/Programming

Ok.

APH> Format: debiandoc-sgml
APH> Files: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.sgml.gz
APH>
APH> Format: text
APH> Files: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.text.gz

I don#t understand that. Can every File can have its own Abstract for
example? How can you recognize the beginning of the definition of a new
document (like my <item></item>)?

APH> Format: HTML
APH> Index: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.html/index.html
APH> Files: /usr/doc/doc-base/doc-base.html/*.html

What#s that? I don#t see any need for that. "File: " should be the root
document (index.html in this example). That#s difficult to parse in C.

APH> Blech.  Disagree.  Arguably, flat text files are our standard format;

No, see Policy.

APH> a close runner up being debiandoc-sgml.  Anyhow, if you want to

Only very few packages use debiandoc.

APH> accomodate lazy pgk maintainers, it would be bettter to try to
APH> autoguess the format based on either the file magic (i.e., 'file') or
APH> the suffix.

The "file" program is no option for a C program. But you could use the
.html, .ps at the end. But this would be difficult, if the file is
compressed or it#s a SGML file (there#re several DTDs).

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15
Mailbox: mbudde@hqsys.antar.com    http://www.tu-harburg.de/~semb2204/