Re: Release notes for 2.0

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Arto Astala wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I mailed with Christian Schwarz some time ago about doing
> the rel notes. (Betcha you thought about another disappearing
> person, Christian.)

(No. I know that writing such manuals takes some time :-)

> Well, here are my first attempts to that direction. I will tag contents
> at the end of this mail and, if you are interested mail some of the
> introductory stuff separately. It is getting rather large, even tho' it
> does not yet really tell enything.

Wow! I'm really impressed! We really need such a document, especially for
Debian 2.0 since I expect that lots of people might want to have some
additional docs when trying the libc5 -> libc6 upgrade :)

> Please comment. After two or three days I will announce this
> on debian-devel.
>
> Christian, or somebody, is there somewhere a corner of
> web space I could use for this? My employer, the advanced
> high-tech Nokia Telecom does not offer world visible
> web space for its employers (that I know of).

I've just put the TOC on our DDP home page:

http://www.painters.schwarz-online.com/~schwarz/debian-doc/release-notes.html

If you want to publish the full document (which would be nice, of course
:) you can either send it to me via email and I'll put it on the web page
or you might want to put it on master: AFAIK, it's possible to create a
public_html/ directory in your home directory on master and use the URL
http://master.debian.org/~<your-login>/ But since this hasn't been done
before, I'd suggest you get in touch with our webmasters and ask for
permission.

To the contents: It would be nice if you could include the following info
in the release manual document. (I'm not sure if you already thought of
these topics. If so, just ignore them here.)

  1. /usr/src is owned by Debian, local sources (such as the kernel
sources) should go into /usr/local/src. (This is especially important
since the kernel-headers or kernel-sources packages are required by
libc6-dev and these install into /usr/src.)

  2. people should use "kernel-package" if they want to create their own
kernels.

  3. short intro to FSSTND: /usr/local is for local additions, /opt is for
third parties, everything else is owned by Debian. (Of course, this is
only meant as an suggestion for the admin to avoid any conflicts with our
packages.)

  4. app-defaults are not conffiles, /etc/X11/Xresources should be used
instead

  5. explanation how `alternatives' work

  6. role of /etc/crontab, /etc/cron.{daily,hourly,monthly,d}, crontabs

  7. role of /etc/init.d, /etc/rc?.d

Note, that all these points are from my list what I wanted to get into
a `Debian System Administrator's Manual' so I'm not sure the Release Notes
is the right manual. However, since we don't have this manual yet, we
might want to make the Release Notes document a little more detailed and
then start moving sections in the admin's manual afterwards. What do you
think??

Thanks a lot for your work on this!

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/