Re: Salsa - best thing in Debian in recent years? (Re: finally end single-person maintainership)

On Tue, 2024-05-21 at 09:11 -0600, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Otto> Would you be kind and try to understand the opposing
> viewpoint
>     Otto> by trying it for one day?
>
>     Otto> You could go to
>     Otto>
> https://salsa.debian.org/debbugs-team/debbugs/-/merge_requests/19
>     Otto> and conduct a code review?
>
> I have not done a code review  of that particular patch on salsa.
> I have done code reviews on salsa, many other gitlabs, and github.
> I find doing a code review in a web page far more frustrating than in
> email.

There are external paid integrations for gitlab which provide the
feature to send emails with full diffs for projects, so there should be
a way to add this feature to the Debian gitlab. I would guess by using
the API.
You can comment on merge requests by email already and you should even
be able to create a new one by mail (that feature exists in gitlab, no
idea if its enabled on salsa and I've never tried it anywhere else).

So I think if this is a feature more people are missing, find them and
spend some time together on creating an external service for salsa that
provides it would be well spent time.