Re: Salsa - best thing in Debian in recent years? (Re: finally end single-person maintainership)

    Otto> Would you be kind and try to understand the opposing viewpoint
    Otto> by trying it for one day?

    Otto> You could go to
    Otto> https://salsa.debian.org/debbugs-team/debbugs/-/merge_requests/19
    Otto> and conduct a code review?

I have not done a code review  of that particular patch on salsa.
I have done code reviews on salsa, many other gitlabs, and github.
I find doing a code review in a web page far more frustrating than in
email.
I appreciate other people have different experience.
Some of my experience but not all is  accessibility related.

I do find that   trying to put everyone into one user interface--whether
it is github or gitlab or whatever--means some people are going to be
left out.
Interfaces like email mean that people can develop their own tooling.
And for those who do and find tooling they really like that's superior
to a common UI like gitlab for *those people*.
But it's going to be inferior for people who do not spend significant
time on tooling; for those people a common web ui is going to be
superior.

And you can say that I can use my own tooling with gitlab.
That's sort of true.  But then you or people like you will get
frustrated  that I don't interact with your per-commit-line comments
entered in the website, or go to the website to resolve comments or
whatever.
And you'll say that if I just tried the website I'd like it.
And that won't be true, because I have, I do use it in my day job, and I
don't really like it that much.

Even so, I think it is enough better that Debian should move in that
direction.

But Otto, I would encourage you to have more compassion for people who
work with the world differently than you.
In this thread, and in the krb5 merge request we are discussing, you
really do seem to be jumping to an assumption that everyone approaches
code the same way.
And you don't appear to be taking the time to understand or value how
the people you are interacting with may deal with the world differently.

Rather than simply asking people  to try out your way, I'd encourage you
to ask me and others how they deal with code and what they like about
their work flow.
I'm not going to ask you to try it out, because it probably won't work
for you.
You've found something you  think is great.
But I am going to ask you to ask and listen.

I do think we should fall in on the salsa way.  I think it will
generally be better overall.
I do think some of us will suffer as a result.

But there appears to be an assumption here that if we just all tried
this new thing it would be great.
I would appreciate compassion for our differences and for how that's
just not true.
There will be trade offs.

--Sam