Re: Salsa - best thing in Debian in recent years? (Re: finally end single-person maintainership)

On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 04:11:02AM +0900, Simon Richter wrote:
> > My concern about Gitlab is not its *additions* to existing services, but
> > its *duplications* of core services already in Debian.
>
> I agree, that's the key problem.
>
> The Debian archive itself is a VCS, so git-maintained packaging is also a
> duplication, and keeping the official VCS and git synchronized is causing
> additional work for developers, which is why people are opposed to having it
> mandated.
The Debian archive itself is a *bad* and *poor* VCS. It should be obvious
in which areas it's poor, and it's bad e.g. because force pushes are
enabled, the history is periodically truncated (though there is no easy
way to get it anyway) etc.
It makes sense that some people want to replace it with a good VCS, but I
agree that adding a good VCS only gives us two VCSes because replacing
will never happen.

--
WBR, wRAR